Our PT saw Danny last week (age 6) and suggested that when we stretch him to put on his knee immobilizers. this way he cannot bend at the knee when stretching and it provides for an awesome stretch without all the wiggles and needing that third hand to support the knee and lift the leg and keep the hip in alignment. We have been doing this for almost one week and we saw her again today and she said she can tell a big difference in how he feels when being stretched.
we got the knee immobilizers from sammons preston at her request a couple of months back to have him where for a half hour a day with his night splints while he watches TV. he sits with his back straight against the couch and this provides a long hamstring stretch. just wanted to share!

Views: 3130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Keith:
I was just in their website. Can you check with Deanne and make sure it is the sportbacker before I order it?
Thanks

Keith Van Houten said:
Deanne, got it online @ http://www.nadachair.com/

I believe it's the sportbacker model. It has optional "stretch straps", but for kids this size you don't need them.
Hello,

I'm interested in a nada chair for my 7 year old. Was the sportbacker confirmed?

Thanks!

Darcy

Jacobs Mommom said:
Hey Keith:
I was just in their website. Can you check with Deanne and make sure it is the sportbacker before I order it?
Thanks

Keith Van Houten said:
Deanne, got it online @ http://www.nadachair.com/

I believe it's the sportbacker model. It has optional "stretch straps", but for kids this size you don't need them.
Sorry, Mommom, I didn't see your question until now.

I don't know if Deanne wound up buying one or not. I'm almost certain the one we have is the S'Port Backer. I just checked it, and it doesn't say what model it is on the tag. It's green, and the back pad is about 6" high, and it doesn't have any of those packs on it like some of the others - so looking at the other models on the website, I'm pretty sure it's the S'Port Backer.

Kyle's 52" tall, and we don't need the "stretch strap" option that they sell. If a taller child was using it, they might.

Good luck.
Thanks Keith, Going to call today. Hopefully a new technique will help. I get tired of fighting with him about stretching nightly.

Darcy

Keith Van Houten said:

I don't know if Deanne wound up buying one or not. I'm almost certain the one we have is the S'Port Backer. I just checked it, and it doesn't say what model it is on the tag. It's green, and the back pad is about 6" high, and it doesn't have any of those packs on it like some of the others - so looking at the other models on the website, I'm pretty sure it's the S'Port Backer.

Kyle's 52" tall, and we don't need the "stretch strap" option that they sell. If a taller child was using it, they might.

Good luck.
Hi Keith: I looked up the nada chair on line, and it is advertised as a chair to support your back and wraps around your knees. How did you come up with the idea to stretch your son by using it around his feet? Was this suggested by your doctor? I don't know if my grandchildren could use this quite yet. They are 5 and 3 years old, and I'm sure they wouldn't tolerate the knee immobilizers or the nada chair for any length of time, but it is something to keep in mind for the near future.

Keith Van Houten said:

We use the knee immobilizers along with a nada chair. This stretches the hamstrings and the heel cords.
Thanks Keith:
Will order it today:)

Keith Van Houten said:

Good luck.
The nadachair stretching technique was suggested to us by the physical therapist we saw here locally in Michigan when we visited one of the MDA clinics. Her nephew has DMD, and she'd been using it with him. We brought the nadachair and and the immobilizers when we went to Cincinnati the first time in November 2008. Dr. Wong and the PT we saw there loved it - they'd heard of it previously, but had never seen one, or had seen it used in this way. They asked to keep this same picture of Kyle in the "stretcher" as we call it. When we were back at CCHMC in July, Dr. Wong told us they were now recommending this technique to other people.

Kyle started using this at age 8, right after he was diagnosed. We use it every single night. He got used to it quickly, it's part of his daily routine. It's easy to do - he can watch TV, play a game, or have dessert while he's in it. (Notice in the picture he's got an apple in his hand) He doesn't give us any grief about sitting in this, because he's usually getting a snack or able to watch whatever he wants on TV while he's in it. He's old enough that he adjusts the straps during the 30 minutes to keep a good stretch as his muscles loosen up. The PT's have been pretty happy with the range of motion he's maintained. This last visit, they did recommend adding some manual stretches, which pick up some additional muscles - this only hits the hamstrings and heel cords. We also use the night splints.

Good luck.
At what age do you think this would be appropriate to start using. We are having trouble getting Wyatt to stretch really well at night and looking for any ways to help get some good stretches. He does use "night boots' so he does get a prolonged stretch at night. Thanks
Jessica - our son was 8 when he started doing this, but it really requires nothing on their part, so I'm sure a younger child could do it. If you use the nada chair, there's some lower bound on height where it'll work, because the straps only adjust to a certain length. I can measure the shortest it'll go if you need.

Unless you have night splints with a hinge, you're probably not getting much of a stretch at night. They're usually more for maintaining position than stretching - you're at a pretty neutral position. Depends on how they're cast. Although - the MDA clinic locally does recommend a hinged AFO, and with that you can get a real stretch. So, it depends on what kind you have. At best, though, you only stretch the heel cords. The nada chair setup also stretches the hamstrings, so you get two birds with one stone.
thanks, this is very hepfull for all of us, especially for me,, my son needs more stretching..and i was looking for more ideas...

Pilar
Pilar Rizzo said:
thanks, this is very hepfull for all of us, especially for me,, my son needs more stretching..and i was looking for more ideas...

Pilar

One of the MD parents on Facebook posted a contraption for stretching that looked pretty interesting the other day. If you didn't see it, let me know, I'll see if I can find it. It was expensive, like $2400 I think...

Ruchika,

I am also from India and in need of nada chair. would u help me out in my search for the one within India.

Thanks,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service