I was wandering if we need to restrict the sodium in the young boy's diet who are not on steroids. Wyatt will be 2 in a few days and I have a hard time getting him to eat healthy foods. He ends up asking for nuggets or mac and cheese. I know that when we start steroids we would need to watch his salt intake so I try not to add salt to the food I make but being from Louisiana it makes it difficult. Any info would be great. Thanks

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Jessica,
Have you tried Tony's salt free? We just found it and it is SO good. I think the answer is that it is not as important pre-steriods, but the sooner you watch it, the easier it will be after you begin them...

Lori
My son Wyatt is now 11 yrs old and I am finally cutting back a little. He gained weight after we tried Haelin 951 (11 lbs!). He has always stayed at steady weight and I noticed that his back was swaying more and he was having trouble doing anything for himself. He could no longer get himself off of the floor even using his own technique... I weighed him and couldn't believe my eyes.
We are swimming and cutting back. We only go to McDonalds if we have no other choice because we've been out for a long time and the kids are starved. He loves mac and cheese- trying not to do this as much and have changed to Smart Choice instead of butter. Trying to keep the salt shaker out of sight. The Tyson frozen chicken strips are expensive but made from real chicken.
The more distracted I keep him with activities the better to keep away from snacking.
Your Wyatt is only 2 and we started our steroids later and went with deflazacort. Our diagnosis was at 3 yrs. We had less weight gain than friends on prednisone with deflazacort.
Hope this helps!
Joanne
Hi Lori: What is Tony's salt free? My daughter is always looking for dietary ideas for Cole and Jack, ages: almost 4 and 2 years old. Terry Porcaro (Grandmother)

Lori Ware said:
Hey Jessica,
Have you tried Tony's salt free? We just found it and it is SO good. I think the answer is that it is not as important pre-steriods, but the sooner you watch it, the easier it will be after you begin them...

Lori
Yes, sodium should be restricted regardless of whether you use steroids or not. In fact, it's not a bad idea to get the entire family on a low-sodium diet. If you calculate the amount of sodium you take in on a daily basis (2000mg is the recommended max daily for an ADULT), you will be disgusted. There are few things that are good about DMD, but forcing our family to eat better is one of them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service