My son is 3 and he still walks well on his own, though occasionally needs the stroller for walking breaks. He is too tall and heavy for traditional strollers and I am having trouble finding any at the stores or online, unless they are from the adaptive equipment websites.

Local MDA does not believe they have a loaner, though may be able to help with financing. However, it would be nice to get a regular stroller/jogging stroller that will give us 2-3 more years and handle his growth and weight (he grew 5 inches between 2nd and 3rd birthday!!!)

Two questions:
Should I just go ahead and get an adaptive stroller?
Does anyone know where I might find strollers for larger toddlers/preschooler?

Views: 481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess another good question to help with the decision is as follows:

What type of durable equipment typically/on average is needed by the age of 7 for our DMD boys? He has deletions 48-52.
Mclaren is where you can get a handicapped stroller although we are getting Seph a scooter instead. The pride mobitlity scooter can go anywhere, on a plane, in the mall, to teh zoo like a stroller, but doesn't look as 'clinical' to me. It will be a bit more of a hassle and yes, weighs more, but it is a personal decision. 3 may be too young for a scooter. We were able to make our umbrella stroller work until now (age 6.4, but Seph is VERY small).
Good luck.
Lori
Sam was diagnosed just before he turned 3 and we got the Maclaren special needs stroller. The MDA paid for the entire thing (almost $900). You're eligible for $2000 towards the purchase of durable medical equipment once every 3 years. Sam is about to be 6 and we will now be looking into getting him a scooter. We'll go through the MDA for this, too. The stroller has been great for us. Sam still rides in it willingly, but I fear entering 1st grade may change that.
Thank you. Connor is 3 and definitely a tank and this is BEFORE steroids LOL! His older non-DMD brother is only 2 inches taller and 3 lbs heavier. SO.... I imagine that until we start the steroids, we'll end up with a lot more growth of the next year.

What other durable equipment did Seph and Sam need through age 6?
Lisa

I think considering yours son's age, it is up to you if you want to get an adaptive stroller or not. I want to hope that as soon as possible, there is a cure and you may never have to worry about this.

Adaptive Stroller: We recently got one for my son 7.5yrs, Link below. We Like it so far.
http://www.adaptivechild.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&Prod...
Lisa,
You may be surprised about the medical equipment you need at this age. Seph wears braces at night to keep his heel cords stretched, but other than that nothing. We are on steroids and that has stopped his growth, but has caused no weight gain either. We take Deflazacort which seems to have less side effects related to weight than prednisone. I would look into it and ask your Doc about it before making the decision on which one is best for your son. i don't know if the cure will be soon, but I do believe that there will be a 'cocktail' that will be effective in almost halting the disease within the next few years (3-5 years hopefully!).
Keep asking questions, we are all here to help.
Lori

Liisa Underwood said:
Thank you. Connor is 3 and definitely a tank and this is BEFORE steroids LOL! His older non-DMD brother is only 2 inches taller and 3 lbs heavier. SO.... I imagine that until we start the steroids, we'll end up with a lot more growth of the next year.

What other durable equipment did Seph and Sam need through age 6?
Hi Liissa,

The 2008 MacLaren Techno XLR is a standard stroller that will hold a child up to 65lbs. it is higher and wider than "standard" strollers and it is absolutely fantastic. We bought it for my 4 year old son. He is 103cm tall, and weighs 23kg so he is a big boy. We didn't want him to go into a "special stroller" yet and he is really happy and comfortable in this stroller. It is yet another option if you aren't quite ready to make the move to special needs strollers.

Sharyn.
This sounds great! I greatly appreciate the help!

Sharyn Thompson said:
Hi Liissa,

The 2008 MacLaren Techno XLR is a standard stroller that will hold a child up to 65lbs. it is higher and wider than "standard" strollers and it is absolutely fantastic. We bought it for my 4 year old son. He is 103cm tall, and weighs 23kg so he is a big boy. We didn't want him to go into a "special stroller" yet and he is really happy and comfortable in this stroller. It is yet another option if you aren't quite ready to make the move to special needs strollers.

Sharyn.
We have the same MacLaren but from 2006 and Love it. it goes up to 55 or 65 ponds. Danny is 40lbs and very comfy in it.
We recently got the Axiom stroller, size 2. It is an all terrain, jogging style stroller with all the bells and whistles for a growing special needs child. We initially got it for my son with Down syndrome and Autsim but have also found it very useful for my son with DMD. They are both 6 years old and will be able to use this up to 100 lbs. At age 6 they don't always want to be in a "stroller" but this looks fun and active because it is a "jogger style" It also has a front wheel conversion kit to make it a 4 wheeler for indoors. I got it thru Adaptivemall.com. But the price was the same everywhere on line. It's pricey, over $1,000 but we got help from our local ARC organization.
Hope this helps.
Cindyq
I've been looking at so many and the suggestions have been very helpful. Our bottom-line question to answer now is: get something a regular one MacLaren Techno XLR and buy it ourselves or get a special needs stroller and see if insurance or MDA will pay.

Thank you for the advice all!
Liisa
We got my son Dylan a MacLaren Special Needs stroller at age 3.5. Our health insurance paid for the whole thing. Dylan is now 7 and gladly rides in it. He even chose to take it on a school outing to the zoo and some of his friends even chose to ride in it when he wasnt using it. Once his teacher explained that he used it because of muscle weakness/tiredess his peers had no issues accepting it and even wanted to take turns pushing. We have taken it traveling all over the place. easy to collapse and take with. We have asked him if he would prefer a scooter but he is happy to stick with "strollie for now",. He only uses it if we are doing a lot of walking etc.
Carrie

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2021   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service