One of the coolest things I saw at this conference, was by people who have made business cards to give out to random people in public when they look at us in the chairs.

Something like:

Hi! Thanks for your interest, my son has Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy....etc.etc.
ending with, please login to parentprojectmd.org for more info. or to donate.

I thought it was brilliant!

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This idea is awesome!!!! My son is not quite three and does get some strange looks already. He walks normally, but has significant speech and communication delays. Because he is almost three, people expect him to act like he is almost three. When he doesn't, I get those "dissapproving" looks! The business card is an awesome idea!!!
I sometimes get disapproving looks or even rude comments when we use my son's disabled placard for parking (because he is 8 and still jumps out of the car). This would be great to use in those instances!

Kelli

Jennifer Collier said:
This idea is awesome!!!! My son is not quite three and does get some strange looks already. He walks normally, but has significant speech and communication delays. Because he is almost three, people expect him to act like he is almost three. When he doesn't, I get those "dissapproving" looks! The business card is an awesome idea!!!
I love that!!!!!!!! I wish I would have had some of those the other day. I think I might just have to make some of my own. Thanks for sharing.
Alicia
the cards read.....
Hi. Thanks for your curiosity and interst. you have just encountered someone with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. DMD is a progressive muscle disorder that causes loss of function and independence. DMD affects 1 in every 3500 boys. to date, there is no cur. we are working to change taht!
to learn more or to support our cause, please visit our .
website at.
www.parentprojectmd.org

they were written by Jill Castle and she wants everyone to make there own and add whatever you want to them and hand them out whenever you need to.
Love this idea. I think I have a new project for the weekend. Thanks for sharing! ~ Traci
Pat, I did create those. I had a box I gave out. If anyone needs any or needs to see an example- send them my way. I can mail them if I get an address. Jill@connectourkids.com
They are great to be able to say your peace by educating instead of getting upset. I'm teaching Anthony to hand them out for himself.

It was really great hanging out with you. Chris is working on Shiela E.
Yes, this is off the wall fabulous! So much nicer than those really MEAN fake parking tickets I wanted to make for unexcuseable parking in the accessible spots! I'm making some (with some sassy alterations) as soon as possible.
Rebecca in California
(mama to Milo 7 1/2 w/DMD and Jules 4 w/out)
Yes - I was just thinking of doing this. Does anyone have a template or 2 they would be willing to share?
Yes, I am the one that made them. Give me your address and I'll mail you some to keep until you can make your own. Jill@connectourkids.com
What a great idea. I love the idea of a no hassle, no effort, polite it's-none-of-your-&*%$"-business cards. My son is 17 months but looks like a normal 8 month old. Until you notice that he's talking to you! It just feels like such a cop-out or disservice somehow to say "well, actually..." before correcting the age assumption. Sometimes I like to just say his age and not explain a darn thing about it, just savor the mildly puzzled look. But sometimes I'm feeling too sorry for myself/him/life to deal so powerfully. A little card that lets me tell the story without having to waste the time or emotion sounds like quite a relief. Thanks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service