Wondering if there was anyone here whose son is taking growth hormone treatments and is older than ten? My son will be 14 next month is about 4ft. 5 and 78 lbs. He just had a stim test and is very low in growth hormone. We are in the process of getting the treatments authorized by our insurance company. I was hoping I could get some feedback from someone.

Thanks,
Janine

Views: 1358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dr. Wong is at Cincinnati Childrens Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio. Above is her nurses email and Andrea will get back with you or forward your request to Dr. Wong as needed. From previous experience, Dr. Wong is happy to discuss/educate other interested doctors about anything she is doing.

My son is on HgH and doing very well. One side effect to watch for (although rare) is severe headaches that can cause a swelling of the optic nerve. This, if it is going to happen, will normally occur within the 1st 3 months of getting the daily injection AND if caught early will cause no long lasting damage, just short term discomfort. I know of one child out of the about 10 I know of on HgH this happened to. He is fine now.

I do believe that Dr. Wong began doing HgH treatments in older boys as a quality of life issue...if they were taller, they would feel better about themselves. She then saw measurable benefits to DMD in doing the HgH, but she will NOT prescribe HgH for the benefit, only if there is severe growth failure even if the natural growth horomone levels are normal (as was the case with my son).
Hope this helps!
Lori

Gregoris Panayiotou said:
Dear All

Where can we find Dr. Wong? How can we contact her? Our doctor here in Cyprus needs to contact some other doctors that have much more experience on boys taking steroids and are under GH treatement, before he will start the GH treatement to my son.

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Dear Lori

The info you gave me are very helpful indeed!! Thank you again for your reply! I will forward the e-mail of Dr. Wong's nurse to our Doctor to send contact her. Thank you also for the info on side effects! I will forward them to our Doctor also!

Many many thanks!!

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Dr. Wong is at Cincinnati Childrens Hospital Medical Center in Cincinnati, Ohio. Above is her nurses email and Andrea will get back with you or forward your request to Dr. Wong as needed. From previous experience, Dr. Wong is happy to discuss/educate other interested doctors about anything she is doing.

My son is on HgH and doing very well. One side effect to watch for (although rare) is severe headaches that can cause a swelling of the optic nerve. This, if it is going to happen, will normally occur within the 1st 3 months of getting the daily injection AND if caught early will cause no long lasting damage, just short term discomfort. I know of one child out of the about 10 I know of on HgH this happened to. He is fine now.

I do believe that Dr. Wong began doing HgH treatments in older boys as a quality of life issue...if they were taller, they would feel better about themselves. She then saw measurable benefits to DMD in doing the HgH, but she will NOT prescribe HgH for the benefit, only if there is severe growth failure even if the natural growth horomone levels are normal (as was the case with my son).
Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Where can we find Dr. Wong? How can we contact her? Our doctor here in Cyprus needs to contact some other doctors that have much more experience on boys taking steroids and are under GH treatement, before he will start the GH treatement to my son.

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Dear Lori

I am back again. Our doctor in Cyprus have not managed yet to contact Dr. Wong unfortunately! Can I contact her nurse myself? Is this possible?

Also: What is the dosage of HgH that your son takes right now?

We are really helpless here in Cyprus as far as it concerns the HgH and boys with DMD.

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Hi Greg,
Yes, feel free to try to contact Andrea yourself. I know Dr. Wong has been traveling some and that (everyday is busy) she has an overloaded clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays! Anyway, yes, email Andrea directly. As for Seph, he is on .8 of Genetropin (I hope I spelled that right). When we began he was 42 inches and 42 lbs with normal levels of HgH in his blood (and age 6.5). Sorry it has taken so long to contact Dr. Wong, I know also that she is taking leave over the Holiday to go home (again an overseas travel)...I want to say she will be gone for 2 weeks, but she normally stays in touch by email with her office (my understanding)....
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

I am back again. Our doctor in Cyprus have not managed yet to contact Dr. Wong unfortunately! Can I contact her nurse myself? Is this possible?

We are really helpless here in Cyprus as far as it concerns the HgH and boys with DMD.

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Hi Greg, send me a private email. Loriware@gmail.com Thanks!

Dear Lori

Happy and healthy new year to you and your family! How are you?

We have sent 2 e-mails to Andrea (one from our endocrinologist and one from me) for George's case to have Dr. Wong's opinion. Andrea replied that he is forwarding the e-mails to Dr. Wong, but we did not have any answer from Dr. Wong still.

I understand that Dr. Wong is very very busy but we need her valuable opinion ASAP. Time is ticking. We have been trying now for 6 months to decide if we are going to give George HgH and still we have not decided to do that.

Lori I know that I may ask a lot from you but, can you help me getting an answer from Dr. Wong? I understand that you have a good relation with Dr. Wong so you may tell her something about George. This would be very helpful for us. Is this possible?

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Hi Greg,
Yes, feel free to try to contact Andrea yourself. I know Dr. Wong has been traveling some and that (everyday is busy) she has an overloaded clinic on Tuesdays and Thursdays! Anyway, yes, email Andrea directly. As for Seph, he is on .8 of Genetropin (I hope I spelled that right). When we began he was 42 inches and 42 lbs with normal levels of HgH in his blood (and age 6.5). Sorry it has taken so long to contact Dr. Wong, I know also that she is taking leave over the Holiday to go home (again an overseas travel)...I want to say she will be gone for 2 weeks, but she normally stays in touch by email with her office (my understanding)....
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Dear Lori

I have sent you an e-mail.

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

We have sent 2 e-mails to Andrea (one from our endocrinologist and one from me) for George's case to have Dr. Wong's opinion. Andrea replied that he is forwarding the e-mails to Dr. Wong, but we did not have any answer from Dr. Wong still.

I understand that Dr. Wong is very very busy but we need her valuable opinion ASAP. Time is ticking. We have been trying now for 6 months to decide if we are going to give George HgH and still we have not decided to do that.

Lori I know that I may ask a lot from you but, can you help me getting an answer from Dr. Wong? I understand that you have a good relation with Dr. Wong so you may tell her something about George. This would be very helpful for us. Is this possible?

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Hi Greg,
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Greg, I did not get the email...can you try again? Thanks! Lori

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Hi Greg,
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Dear Lori

I have re-sent the e-mail. Have you received it? If not then please provide me with another e-mail address if you have one.

Thanks again for your time

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Hi Greg,
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
I have not recieved it. Weird. I only have one email..you can send it through the PPMD personal page or make sure you are using the right email (or that I typed it in right!) loriware@gmail.com Sorry! I am happy to help, I just want to make sure I ask the right thing!!!

Dear Lori

I have re-sent the e-mail. Have you received it? If not then please provide me with another e-mail address if you have one.

Thanks again for your time

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Dear Lori

Greg

Lori Ware said:
Hi Greg,
Good Luck!
Lori

Dear Lori

Thanking you in advance

Greg

Lori Ware said:

Hope this helps!
Lori

Dear All

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Gregoris Panayiotou
Cyprus
Dear Lori

Finally Dr. Wong contacted me and gave me some very useful information. Tomorrow we are going to start with GH. I hope that all will go well for my son!

Thanks again Lori for your help and support!

Greg
So Glad!!! Let us know how it goes!
Dear All

We have started AT LAST after long discussions and vistis to several doctors! George had his first GH injection yesterday. He gets 1,8mg of Genotropin. Let us hope that all will be good and have George get some height!

Greg

Lori Ware said:
So Glad!!! Let us know how it goes!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service