My son has been having trouble getting comfortable and going to sleep at night. He has a hospital bed and we have an egg crate on the matress. The last several nights it has taken him 1.5 to 2 hours to get to sleep with me making atleast 8 trips into his room to help him get comfortable. Anyone have any suggestions or things that have worked with your sons?

Views: 130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Get him an alternating air pressure mattress, or an overlay type. It goes over top of the mattress, it comes with a pump, that will alternate pressure points. Just ask your rehab people about it. To get insurance to cover it you may need a prescription. If insurance doesn't take care of it it may cost about 200.00.
They have helped my boys with breakdowns too. They haven't had any at all.

Good luck
Tanya
We have a turning bed (quite expensive but well worth the investment in our case)

Turns Mitch in 10 degree increments every 5 minutes, and has a battery backup in case of a power cut - wouldn't be without it!
Juile, did insurance pay for it. I have seen those beds they are awesome, but like you said very expensive. That would be great to have.
Australia is even worse than America when it comes to health insurance so no, we had to beg, borrow (and luckily not steal) the money for the bed.

The difference it has made to Mitchells sleeping is nothing short of a miracle - the hospital had all but given up as they were giving him enough sedatives to knock out a racehorse (without suppressing his resp system) and he was still waking up needing to be turned - now he wakes up once a night for a toilet break - its amazing!

From talking to the bed people over here, their model is a lot cheaper than the US ones - it cost just under $10,000 whereas they were quoting more than 3 times that for a US equivalent......so I don't know how much the beds are over there, but like I said in the original post - for our family it was a worthwhile investment, and one I wish I had made years ago.....
Thanks Tanya - I knew there was something out there I had heard about but couldn't remember what it was called. I will ask about it next Dr. visit. Actually I realized after my post that I had thrown out the egg crate we had on his bed because it had gotten yucky and replaced it with a different one that was. The new one was not as thick as the other one, so I found one like he had before and he went to sleep much easier last night and again tonight. I should have known not to change- LOL. I think the alternating air pressure mattress will be great also.
My son uses a memory foam pad I purchased at Walmart, I just put in on top of him normal pad his hospital bed came with. Works for him never have a problem. Maybe you could use this for now until you get your turning bed.??
Holly Bailey said:
Thanks Tanya - I knew there was something out there I had heard about but couldn't remember what it was called. I will ask about it next Dr. visit. Actually I realized after my post that I had thrown out the egg crate we had on his bed because it had gotten yucky and replaced it with a different one that was. The new one was not as thick as the other one, so I found one like he had before and he went to sleep much easier last night and again tonight. I should have known not to change- LOL. I think the alternating air pressure mattress will be great also.
Holly,
I know there are some special hospital beds at there for wound patients. These have air that inflates and deflates for the bed of the matress. I would think that you could get a RX for this....The bed automatically shifts for the patient. I think this would help with comfort level b/c it does not allow for pressure sores to develop.
One other thing - there is a supplement - all natural called malatonin that may help your son get sleepy
Good luck.
Char Burke
I live in the U.K so the health board paid for everything (I'm just beginning to realise how lucky we were) but either way, our brother had a quatro talley air flow matress. He was so comfortable on it! It was amazing! It is like egg create inside or more like roho (if you've heard of that) and the air is pumped through at different pressures. It basically changes the pressure areas. It's the best mattress but is expensive. There are lots to view here: http://www.consumermedhelp.com/pressuremgmt.html

but the one my brother had and loved was: http://www.talleygroup.com/talley_medical/mattresses/quattro_acute/

Hope that helps

Danielle

P.S Our brother called a lot during the night at one point and we had a night nurse, so that we were so tired out in the day. We didn't like the idea at first, but it meant that our days were refreshed and we had lots of energy, rather than contant sleepless nights. He then changed to only waking 2 or 3 times a night, we're not sure why, it might be because they changed the pressure on his nippy (night ventilator)
hi there..im sitting here with my dmd son who is 10. so im actually asking him what helped him and we both concluded the new sheets i bought. he hated the egg crate mattress so we took that off. didn't really like anything we put on his bed. what helped is i got him so new sheets...the really high thread count kind and some super soft comforters. im working on getting the air mattresses like tanya's boys' have but in the meantime that helped him out.
Another idea we've discovered are satin sheets (polyester really). I get them from Target or Wal Mart on sale and it's not a big expense. They're usually on sale in August as "back to school" & dorm sales. Hmm! My son (he's older, but likes to move as much as he can without help) loves how they feel and can reposition himself with a little wiggle. The top sheet used to slip a lot, so we use the satin bottom sheet and a cotton or flannel top sheet depending on the weather. It relieved stress on my back, and we both got more sleep. The top sheet we use for Halloween costumes...capes and anything that is better with a shine!!!
Good luck!
Laurie

Linda said:
hi there..im sitting here with my dmd son who is 10. so im actually asking him what helped him and we both concluded the new sheets i bought. he hated the egg crate mattress so we took that off. didn't really like anything we put on his bed. what helped is i got him so new sheets...the really high thread count kind and some super soft comforters. im working on getting the air mattresses like tanya's boys' have but in the meantime that helped him out.
Hi,
my son has always had problems with sleeping.. He's 16, he now has a cat, a dog, a fish bowl,
and a TV, and Memory Foam and Satin Sheets and an intercom in his room. Finally the combination works.
He goes to bed with a movie on, falls asleep and buzzes me usually once during the night for a turn over.
The satin sheets are great for sliding him around on the bed. Ours are maybe too slippery, all the top
covers tend to fall right off the bed and his pillow pops out like a bar of soap. We also took the top
cover away and just use the bottom.
Cindy

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service