My son who is in second standard is 8 years old. he is on steriods i.e prednisone on alternate day with 10mg initial and now increased to 15 mg weighing 25 kgs. how good it is ? i do not certainly know whether he could have gone to school with out steriods. it appears he has gained weight but manages to go to school.

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Take a look at defazacort instead of prednisone. Ask your doctor about it. Both are steroids but Deflazacort is better with weight gain.
Godbless said:
Take a look at defazacort instead of prednisone. Ask your doctor about it. Both are steroids but Deflazacort is better with weight gain.
how effective with respect to movement and strength. whether we can switch from one to other ? no effects physiologically?
Ravi

They both are steroids. No difference as far as the benefits go. defazacort for some reason has lesser weight gain. If you search, you will read a lot about deflazacort. I recommend asking your sons doctor. There are some parents who do switch from predinosone to deflazacort mainly due to weight gain. All other aspects are same between the 2 drugs. My son is 7.4yrs and started deflazacort about 3 months back.

When we were starting him on steroid, my sons doc gave a presciption for prednesone for 1 month and deflazacort for 1 year, so that we can get started immediately on predenisone and switch to deflazacort the moment we receive the order. In US, Deflazacort is not approved by FDA, and we order from online UK store.
Godbless said:
Ravi

They both are steroids. No difference as far as the benefits go. defazacort for some reason has lesser weight gain. If you search, you will read a lot about deflazacort. I recommend asking your sons doctor. There are some parents who do switch from predinosone to deflazacort mainly due to weight gain. All other aspects are same between the 2 drugs. My son is 7.4yrs and started deflazacort about 3 months back.

When we were starting him on steroid, my sons doc gave a presciption for prednesone for 1 month and deflazacort for 1 year, so that we can get started immediately on predenisone and switch to deflazacort the moment we receive the order. In US, Deflazacort is not approved by FDA, and we order from online UK store.
any improvement to your son movements strength whAT IS HE DOING GOING SCHOOL ALONE DOING HIS THINGS ON OWN?
The strength measure is about what he was able to do before and after. After starting, we see some improvement and since it is only close to 3 months, we have a 6 month appointment to measure the effect of the steroid. The way our doc explained, the goal of the steroid is to slow down the deterioration, not necessarily increase the abilities. However, most of the time we may notice increase in abilities as well.
I was taking deflazacort for about 6 years then switched to prednisone, I haven't felt any difference being on them or off them.
B.P Ravi said:
how effective with respect to movement and strength. whether we can switch from one to other ? no effects physiologically?

I found no real difference in movement and strength when we switched James to Deflazacort, but then he was only on Prednisone for three months after he was diagnosed before me made the change. He did put on a lot of weight in the 3 months on Prednisone - 4.5kg! He has now been on deflazacort for almost 2 years and his weight has steadily increased to 22kg, from 17kg after the prednisone. He certainly doesn't look fat though - very solid like my other 3 unaffected nephews. I always thought he was too underweight prior to steroids anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service