Ok, I know I am a little Colorado crazy and love all our outdoor activites, but I really want to share this one with you all: http://www.wildernessonwheels.org/Activities.htm
It is an amazing way to "hike" through the Colorado wilderness on an eight foot wide boardwalks made for wheel chairs. They also offer other great outdoor experiences!

Anyone else got any cool places we need to visit?

Ang :)

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Angela,
This is Awesome! We are heading up to CO at the end of July (week after conference) and may try to check this out! have you done it, or just heard about it?

Thanks for sharing!! Lori
We have not been, but have spent much time in this beautiful area. Jack is still "hiking" regular trails, so we are saving this for later. We have many friends who have been and loved it!!!

We always love getting together with other DMD families, let us know if you have any free time while you are here. Also, we would be happy to make suggestions for fun activities, if you need ideas.

Ang :)
What a great idea! I haved saved it under favorites. We recently went to SeaWorld San Antonio and they do the fast pass idea on rides also for disabled (similar to Disney Worlds). When we got there we went to the front desk and got a pass that allowed us to get on rides without going up and down a bunch of steps. Depending on the ride as to how many could go with him. They were very accommodating.

Kristi
We also live in Colorado and have been to Wilderness on Wheels. It was a great activity and allowed my sons to participate in a family hike. We also have found several destinations that are handicapped friendly. Mesa Verde National Park has 2 trails that are completely accessible. They allow those in wheelchairs to go right up to the ruins. One of the trails is a little steep, so plan on a little assistance pushing at the top of the hill. We've also been to the Grand Canyon (great accessibility) and San Diego this past summer. San Diego is great!
I found a book called 101 Accessible Vacations, you may want to get the book if you are interested in traveling.
Can you tell me more about your trip to the Grand Canyon? We're starting to plan a trip for next summer. It's been more than 15 years since I was there, plus didn't have anyone with a disability with us. I've seen on their website that there are accessible trails, but how are they really? Thanks!!

Kimberley Weber Horan said:
We also live in Colorado and have been to Wilderness on Wheels. It was a great activity and allowed my sons to participate in a family hike. We also have found several destinations that are handicapped friendly. Mesa Verde National Park has 2 trails that are completely accessible. They allow those in wheelchairs to go right up to the ruins. One of the trails is a little steep, so plan on a little assistance pushing at the top of the hill. We've also been to the Grand Canyon (great accessibility) and San Diego this past summer. San Diego is great!
I found a book called 101 Accessible Vacations, you may want to get the book if you are interested in traveling.
Laurie,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. We did go to the Grand Canyon last summer with our three boys that have Duchenne's. We found most of the main part of the park to be accessible. We first stayed in the South Rim. The handicapped rooms were large with a roll-in shower. We made our reservations through Xanterra reservations which serves the park. They did an excellent job of booking our trip. There is a handicap accessible trail along the rim with spectacular views. The only thing we didn't do was take any of the day hikes (not really good for a wheelchair, too steep). We were able to take the boys on a helicopter tour, they only charge each of the boys $10.00, while my husband and I paid full fare. They assisted us in transferring the boys into the helicopter. It was a really memorable experience. The name of the company was Papillon Helicopter Tours. We also stayed in the North Rim. They also have some handicap accessible cabins. The Grand Canyon Lodge was built in the 30's so there are some challenges getting to the dining room, but they do have a lift system that helps. I think I enjoyed the North Rim more because it was less touristy and a lot more quiet. Hope this info helps you out. I think our sons had a great time!
Here is another place that is opening in Fall 2009 in San Antonio, TX, http://www.soarsa.org/index.html I came across this website while surfing and thought it may be a cool spot for our kids to go. Best part is that it is free!!! Maybe someone from San Antonio knows more about it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2019   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service