Does anybody have a service dog or thinking about getting one? I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on that.

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kristi Powell said:
We have completed our application and now only have a face to face visit with Canine Companions, Florida chapter. It looks like we will have that in December and if all goes well we will be in Florida for the 2 week training deal in Feb.

My son is 10 and still mobil, for the most part he is doing great however has issues with picking things up off the floor, ect. We have been really impressed with Canine Companions and it hasn't been a long process at all. We probably would have gotten into the class this summer, however we had already planned a trip to California that couldn't be changed.
kristi
We have a service monkey from Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers for the Disabled. She is a capuchin monkey named Kathy. She is terrific. She is trained to work all of Mike's electronic equipment, dial the phone, retrieve a drink from the frig, open it, place a straw and give to Mike etc etc. She is a fair amount of work for me-- but well worth it!
Hey Lisa,

It looks like we will be seeing you in September. Jack got confirmation yesterday!!!! He is really excited!

Ang :)

Lisa Jones said:

Ang--Maybe Jack will get to go during the same training camp Bradley is scheduled for in Sept. It'll be just me and Bradley making the trip. We are very excited!
what was the meeting like? we are suppost to have a meeting on tuesday with milkbone and a market i dont really have a clue what to expect.
Hi Sara,
Congratulations!!! The meeting was pretty casual with a short talk by people from Sam's Club, Milk Bone and Canine Assistants. Then she had the dog show some behaviors. We did have the local NBC station show up to interview Francis from Canine Assistants, Jack & myself. We were probably there for an hour or so, but the "formal" part was probably 20 minutes. One little FYI - I wish I would have taken thank you notes for Sam's Club, Milk Bone, Francis and Maddox (the dog). Have fun!!! I would love to hear how your presentation goes!

Sara Savalli said:
what was the meeting like? we are suppost to have a meeting on tuesday with milkbone and a market i dont really have a clue what to expect.
We are currently working with the training of the dog that we will be getting. He should be placed with us sometime in December. While the dog is training on specific skills, like picking up things, turning on lights, retrieving an emergency phone, etc. we are helping on working with getting him used to being around a wheelchair and getting to know Tyler. One of the newest breed of dog that is being used for public access/assist is the standard poodle. They are VERY smart and do not shed. In the beginning we pursued the idea of an assist dog for the obvious reason of helping our son but what we've realized as he has helped in the training and as he gets older is that the dog will also be a great companion. Going on field trips with the dog we have noticed an increased sense confidence in our son. It is amazing to see the 2 of them together.
oh the meeting went great, the newspaper showed up and 3 local tv stations and we were on the news, i was not prepared for the news to ask me stuff, and i was overwhelmed with all the people and my kids were running around opposite directions so i looked like an idiot on the news that night, but oh well it was worth it, and and the front page of the local section of our newspaper today was a picture of jonathan hugging the dog cody that they brought, and it says about jonathan having duchenne and that he is getting a canine assistant job, and they gave us some toys from milkbone, and it really was great, he got a big cake that said congratulations jonathan, and quite a few people were there, he got to hold a board that said his name and they were sponcering his dog, and the market that is also sponsering him. but i do not know when we will go to camp yet. i didn't realize how much they actually sponser for the dog, all the vet stuff for the life of the dog, in the add for the d and w market they had a part talking about jonathan and duchenne, and it says it's over $10,000. i will say it is an amazing opportunity. i can't wait to meet the people in georgia.
So with canine assistance, you have to do a presentation? Is this for fundraising for getting the dog? With canine companions, they don't do this to my knowledge, or we haven't gotten to that point yet. We have 1 face to face interview left and then if we approved through that interview and ( class) then we will be put through a 2 week training that would start in a few months after the interview. The cost for us is getting there ( located in Orlando), most meals, and transportation. We will stay on campus free of charge the whole 2 weeks, but will need to have transportation for field trips and errands as they come up. I am not crazy about driving my son 12 hours to florida, I would rather fly and rent a car, but not sure on cost and taking a dog on the plane. I guess I have time to think this through, we hopefully go this December for our interview. But I almost want to postpone this until this next summer because if we do ok in the interview, we will be probably be placed in the Feb. class. Much easier to get time off and what have you in the summer months...but I don't want to lose our chance...
kristi
Hi Krisiti,

I don't believe that all Canine Assistant recipients need to do the presentation, but Milk Bone & some of their retailers choose to sponor dogs and like to do a presentation to those kids. It was really fun and exciting for Jack. I think it was also great for the people in those stores to get to see where their efferts are going.

I went through the process with both CCI & Canine Assistants and both were wonderful to work with. CCI in Southern California only had training camps in May & August. We got called for two May trainings and just could not make it. They called a third time the day of Jack's presentation from Milk Bone, Sam's Club and Canine Assistants. I am a member of the local CCI email group in Colorado and they are regularly asking people to bring their dogs to awareness and fundraising events. I don't believe any of these are mandatory!

We have everything in place now and can tell you how Canine Assistants arranged things for us. I don't know if this has to do with our sponors exclusively or if it is standard for Canine Assistants. We are flying first class to Greorgia, where we are being picked up at the airport and taken to a nice hotel near the training facility. All our meals and expenses for the two weeks are covered. If my husband was coming there is a very small charge ($90 for the whole week) for meals for the 3rd person. The only expense I have seen is a request, if you are able, to buy a $153 supply pack with care items, toys, etc. I have to say that this is one of the most professionally planned trips I have ever taken and I am actually looking forward to traveling. I have been informed of all details and could not be more pleased.

p.s. Jack is thrilled!!!

Ang, thanks for filling me in. Maybe I should have checked into Canine Assistants along with CCI. Didn't really think about it at the time. Either way, I think my church can help with expenses if we need it. How exciting for you all.. and of course Jack!! You have to keep us updated and lots of pic's. Hopefully when our turn comes, it all works out! You will also have to fill me in on traveling on the plane with a dog, that was the one thing that is really holding me back from flying to Florida. But I'll live through you first, just keep us all posted on your trip and training!
Kristi
Angela said:
Hi Krisiti,

I don't believe that all Canine Assistant recipients need to do the presentation, but Milk Bone & some of their retailers choose to sponor dogs and like to do a presentation to those kids. It was really fun and exciting for Jack. I think it was also great for the people in those stores to get to see where their efferts are going.

I went through the process with both CCI & Canine Assistants and both were wonderful to work with. CCI in Southern California only had training camps in May & August. We got called for two May trainings and just could not make it. They called a third time the day of Jack's presentation from Milk Bone, Sam's Club and Canine Assistants. I am a member of the local CCI email group in Colorado and they are regularly asking people to bring their dogs to awareness and fundraising events. I don't believe any of these are mandatory!

We have everything in place now and can tell you how Canine Assistants arranged things for us. I don't know if this has to do with our sponors exclusively or if it is standard for Canine Assistants. We are flying first class to Greorgia, where we are being picked up at the airport and taken to a nice hotel near the training facility. All our meals and expenses for the two weeks are covered. If my husband was coming there is a very small charge ($90 for the whole week) for meals for the 3rd person. The only expense I have seen is a request, if you are able, to buy a $153 supply pack with care items, toys, etc. I have to say that this is one of the most professionally planned trips I have ever taken and I am actually looking forward to traveling. I have been informed of all details and could not be more pleased.

p.s. Jack is thrilled!!!

Patty, the way I understand it ( CCI ) is that if all goes well in your Sept interview, you will probably be in the November class. They don't like to keep a list long at all. We would go to our interview in Dec for the Feb class... but I almost want to change that and have our interview in Feb for the May class..... it's just easier for us to do this in the summer.... Keep us posted!!
Kristi
Patty Sherman said:
CCI in Southern California (Oceanside) actually has training 4 times a year - February, May, August, and November. We have our personal interview with them on September 26. Then on to the waiting list (hopefully-if we "pass" ;-). We're hoping to get to go to a training class sooner rather than later but I'm happy they are so particular about placing the right dog with the right family.
Yes, I applied last year, didn't quite turn in everything until Feb of this year. My last phone interview was just this past May, it was then they were going to give me a date to come for the face to face interview, but I wasn't interested in going to training this past summer due to conflicting plans. When I told her this, she said that the face to face interview would need to be done not to far off from when we would come for class ( assuming that we past the interview). So, I told her we could not do this unitl next year, that is how we ended having the interview in Dec to be in the Feb class. Am I making sense?
Kristi
Patty Sherman said:
I definitely would prefer the May class. I am a teacher & it is a real pain to be out of the classroom for 2 weeks any time of the year :-/. I've already had to make very tentative plans about how to go about doing that. None of the classes will be during any of my breaks - or Brady's for that matter.
The way they explained the classes to me during our phone interview is that they won't assign you to any class until they're absolutely certain they've found the right dog placement for you/your son. So, while I have my preferences for when the training would be best, I'd rather have the best dog for our situation...
I'm sure you've mentioned Kristi, did you apply with CCI too?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service