Does anyone have issues at school with them not knowing how or being afraid to lift or move around our sons to help them use the bathroom?? I got a call from the school this morning my son needed to pee and his pants were a little tight so they actually had to pull his pants down some and were not sure how to do it,they said they need some training. Has anybody else had these issues or does anyone have suggestions on how to make it easier for our boys to use the restroom at school??

Views: 185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We "retrain" the aides at the start of every school year. Actually, we go in a few days before school starts and work with them. We show them how best to help Justin move forward a little to get his pants down and how to use the hoyer lift. Before they started using the lift, we showed them the best way to pick him up and move him. If your son doesnt use a handheld urinal at school, I would recommend it. Its much much easier than the toilet once they are in the chair full time. Also, we put Justin in a size or two larger pants and a size larger underwear to make pulling them down even easier, and we try to put him in the breakaway pants and shorts(the ones with buttons on the side) for even more ease.

--Samantha
Thanks, yes he does use a handheld urinal. I try to find breakaway pants but I can never find them and does your school actually have a hoyer lift?

Samantha Dearing said:
We "retrain" the aides at the start of every school year. Actually, we go in a few days before school starts and work with them. We show them how best to help Justin move forward a little to get his pants down and how to use the hoyer lift. Before they started using the lift, we showed them the best way to pick him up and move him. If your son doesnt use a handheld urinal at school, I would recommend it. Its much much easier than the toilet once they are in the chair full time. Also, we put Justin in a size or two larger pants and a size larger underwear to make pulling them down even easier, and we try to put him in the breakaway pants and shorts(the ones with buttons on the side) for even more ease.

--Samantha
My mother finds the breakaway pants alot at Academy sports. you can find them on clearance alot and at their online store. Our school has a hoyer lift, but its our hoyer lift. We take it up there and let them use it. We have a multibase lift we use at home.

--Samantha
Oh ok, thanks. Also does your school hire aides to be there just for your son or do they just have you train existing aides at the school?

Samantha Dearing said:
My mother finds the breakaway pants alot at Academy sports. you can find them on clearance alot and at their online store. Our school has a hoyer lift, but its our hoyer lift. We take it up there and let them use it. We have a multibase lift we use at home.

--Samantha
Well, at our junior high school there are many aides. Justin has chosen for right not, not to have one with him at all times. He gets from class to class on his own, he has an accessible desk in every class with his books and papers and everything he needs on it. if he needs something out of his backpack, the teacher gets it. There is always an aide close by to help him and one in the office. He uses the restroom in the office. So, they dont hire specifically for Justin, but we make sure that every aide at the school is fully equipped to handle Justin and knows how to use his equipment. We found that doing it this way, we never run into the problem of his aide being gone and noone knowing how to work the lift, etc. They told us that they would make sure any aide hired was trained, but we feel better if we go up there and fully train them in "justin" =)

--Samantha
My son is also 12 and we are having the same issues. The school nurse was originally trying to transfer him, but it was too much for her and she couldn't do it by herself. There is currently a male aid that goes between two schools that helps get Jason to the bathroom. We tried a handheld urinal a few times at the end of last school year, but Jason would end up with his clothes wet, so we thought the transfer method from the chair to the toilet would be better, until he gets too big to handle. I do try to put elastic waist pants on him that are a little too big in the waist to make it easier to pull them up and down. We may have to try the urinal again soon to see if that is any easier now.

Holly
Once he gets used to using a urinal it will be easier it makes things alot easier on me at home also, cody can even pee in a soda bottle if he needs to, lol
Holly Flavin said:
My son is also 12 and we are having the same issues. The school nurse was originally trying to transfer him, but it was too much for her and she couldn't do it by herself. There is currently a male aid that goes between two schools that helps get Jason to the bathroom. We tried a handheld urinal a few times at the end of last school year, but Jason would end up with his clothes wet, so we thought the transfer method from the chair to the toilet would be better, until he gets too big to handle. I do try to put elastic waist pants on him that are a little too big in the waist to make it easier to pull them up and down. We may have to try the urinal again soon to see if that is any easier now.

Holly
I heard suggestion from PT once about making special pants to make use of hand urinal easier. She said that some moms, open the stitches in that area of pants( between the legs ) and put Velcro( or zipper ) .That was about 3 years ago we talked. I wouldn't be surprised if by today some special stores with clothing for handicapped people have pants like that.With those pants , you do not transfer, and kids not end up with wet clothes.It is easier for boys to put the little p... to the hand-urinal in pants like that ( considering the size). She said that this would save a lot of transferring done at schools with many accidents of dropping boys. She also said that many times boys tries go by themselves when they still little ambulatory , they slip and brake leg or arm.( they like privacy even more then we do) She said that statistically there is a lot of accidents at schools and pants like that make miracles to prevent it. When time will came , I am ready to make that stitching myself if the pants like that are not found in the stores yet.
Roland wears only elastic pants and we make sure they are plenty big for him. He has always been a big boy so getting pants up and down has always been a struggle. I am sure the day will come soon that we have to change but several years ago he stopped wearing underwear because it was one less layer to get up and down. It doesn't bother him but it might some boys. Our school also has a hoyer lift. It was bought for the school through the special education department. They actully had theirs before we did. We also use a hand held urinal but because of Roland's size and the way his chair is made, he has to be transfered to the toilet to use it. At his school, the nurse, principal, counselor and several aides are trained to help him so the nurse always has someone she can call to help her. The big issue we have is the time that it takes for him to go to the bathroom, but he can usually get in a habit of going about the same time everyday and tries to find a time that it works for him to be out of class for the 20 - 30 min. it takes.
Hi. I just want you parents to know I started altering pants for the boys that need them. They are like the break away ones but only I make the inside seams break away. I just wanted to let you know I can do this for any parents that might want them done. I do it for my boys now too. If you are interested email me. I am not advertising, but just providing information.

Thank you
Tanya

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Need help using this community site? Visit Ning's Help Page.

Members

Events

© 2020   Created by PPMD.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service